Written By Dale Brown, 2010. Edited by Sarah Spira, 2022
The Peter Paul house is located on historic lot 14/ 15.
Peter Paul (b. 1811-d. 1861) followed his father’s trade as a furniture builder and craftsman, making clocks, looms, and coffins, among other things. In his later years he was listed as a jeweler.
Paul married Maria Meader (b. Peacham year? – d. 1900) of Newbury.
Peter built his home next to his furniture shop. Except for the kitchen and minor alterations, the house remains in its original state. The furniture shop was later remodeled into a store by Hosea Welch III.
Following his death in 1861, the Paul estate was bequeathed to his widow, Maria Paul, in January 1862. For almost a century, the house was owned by four generations of Pauls.
Maria Paul remarried twice: first in March of 1865 to George Mason (b. Scotland). After seven years of marriage he died of a kidney disease at the age of 72.
Maria’s third and last marriage was to Currier Sanborn (b. New Hampshire-1900, epilepsy), in February 1883.
Between 1883 and 1890 the information on deed transfers is a little unclear. Town records show that Mrs. Maria (Paul) Sanborn owed back taxes and the house and land were sold by the town to B.L Clark and H. B. Hall.
Maria and her husband had sold their home to Charles Bap in May of 1883 with the right to occupy as long as they lived. It is assumed that Charles Bap may have failed to pay the back taxes and lost his ownership of the property.
In 1890 Benjamin Heath purchased the land, along with the house, and deeded the estate to his daughter, Nellie Hadlock, Peter Paul’s granddaughter.
Helen Paul, Peter Paul’s daughter, married Walter Taisey. They had one child, Peter Paul Taisey. Walter died 6 months after his son’s birth.
Helen Paul was then married to Benjamin Franklin Heath. Benjamin built and operated a blacksmith shop next to the Peter Paul home, and also carried on his father in-law’s furniture trade. Helen and Benjamin’s first born child was named Nellie A. Heath, born in 1861.
Nellie Heath married John Hadlock. It appears that they moved into Maria (Paul) Sanborn’s house during Maria’s final years. Maria passed away in 1900.
Nellie and Mr. Hadlock had two children before they divorced. She continued to live in her grandmother’s home until her death in 1927.
Mrs. Nellie Hadlock was the Librarian of Groton from (when to when), and used the west side of her home for the Groton Public Library.
Nellie Hadllock’s son, Ray Hadlock, was bequeathed the western half of he house, consisting of the parlor and the back bedroom. Her daughter, Minnie O’Brien, was left with the kitchen, living room, and all the chambers upstairs. The rest of the estate is not mentioned.
In the 20th century, the property was transferred 9 times.
In 1900 the blacksmith shop became the home of George Millis.
In 1936, Normal and Helen Achilles purchased the Peter Paul house and land. The Achilleses established an auto repair shop and Studebaker dealership. They converted the shed into a garage that extended towards the street. The kitchen was foreshortened to increase the garage width.
1941: The house, and business were sold to Harry M. Day.
1942: With Mrs. Day’s sudden death, the estate was bequeathed to her four children; who lived in the states of Washington, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.
Nelson and Francis (Day) Hooper of Youngstown, Ohio purchased the interest from the other children/siblings and retained title for the entire estate.
October 1955: Francis (Day) Hooper, Nelson’s Widow, deeded the Peter Paul house to Robert and Irma Jones.
September 1966: Robert Jones, the surviving widower, deeded the premises to Carrolll Ricker.
October 1966: The property was conveyed to Julius and Cynthia Tueckhardt.
August 1967: Buildings and land were purchased by Rynold Moulton for an antique shop. October 1968 or 78: the estate was conveyed by Quit-Claim to include his daughter and son-in- law, Grace and Roland Greenwood.
The Peter Paul House became the property of The Groton Historical Society in September of 1984.